Getting a yearly health check-up can help you stay healthy and prevent many health problems. Many people avoid seeing their personal doctor until they are sick or have concerns about a health issue. Why wait? Getting a yearly health check-up is one of many things you can do to help stay healthy.
Why are check-ups important?
Regular health check-ups can help find problems before they start. They also help find problems early, when your chances of treatment and cure are better. Getting the right health services, screenings and treatments at the right time can help your chances of living a healthier life.
How often should I get a check-up?
For most people an annual health check-up is recommended. Talk to your personal doctor to find out how often you should get a complete check-up. The frequency of your health check-up will depends on:
- Your age
- Your health
- Your family history
- Your lifestyle choices (i.e. what you eat, how active you are, whether you smoke or not)
Work with your doctor to set a schedule that is best for you.
Before your next check-up, make sure you do these things:
- Make a list of all the medicine you’re currently talking, including over-the-counter drugs
- Make a list of questions to ask your doctor
- What exams do I need this year?
- Do I need any vaccines?
- Review your family history
- Make a list of any recent changes you’ve noticed in your body
- Write a list of any allergies you have
Preparing for your visit will help your doctor better understand your needs and provide the appropriate care that is right for you.
Tips to help you stay on schedule with your annual health check-up
It is easy to forget, or put off, going to the doctor when you are feeling well. Here are some ways to help you remember to schedule and keep your appointment.
- Always schedule your check-up at the same time every year.
- Pick an event, such as your birthday, that will always help you remember that it is time for a health check-up.
- Write the appointment date and time on a calendar that you use on regular basis.
- Ask a friend or family member to note your appointment date on their calendar and ask them to remind you of your appointment.
Remember, to stay healthy, it’s important to get the care you need. Take charge of your health. Call your doctor today to schedule your health check-up.
Healthy Summer Recipes
Shrimp Tacos – Here's a light and tasty summer taco recipe that's great for a family dinner or the next time you have guests.
Tacos de Camarones a la Parrilla – Esta es una sabrosa receta de taco de verano, ideal para una cena familiar o la próxima vez que tenga huéspedes.
Garden Pasta Salad – Pasta salad is a cool and delightful addition to lunch or dinner.
Ensalada Fresca de Pastas – Ensalada de pasta es una adición fresca y agradable para el almuerzo o la cena.
Pork Souvlaki – A simple, fresh recipe that can be enjoyed as a snack or appetizer.
Souvlaki de Puerco – Souvlaki, es un plato griego popular que es fácil de hacer.
For more healthy recipes, visit our Recipes for Good Health page.
Not a CareMore Cal MediConnect member yet? Enrollment is easy and can be done year round. Visit our Do You Qualify or How to Enroll pages for instructions.