Watch your weight
Take charge of your weight by eating better and exercising more. Even small changes can help you look and feel better! Follow these tips to help you manage your weight and stay fit:
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier in the morning to eat breakfast at home
- Prepare healthy snacks to eat between meals
- Drink water instead of soda
- Eat all meals on time. Eat smaller portions for dinner.
- Get active at work and home and in your free time. Walk or use the stairs
- Eat small healthy meals and snacks instead of one big meal
Choose foods low in fat and calories such as:
- Skim milk or 1% milk
- Cheeses marked "low-fat" or "fat-free" on the package
- Fruits and vegetables without butter or sauce
- Rice, beans, cereals, corn tortillas and pasta
- Lean cuts of meat, fish and skinless turkey and chicken
Make foods the healthy way
- Bake, broil or boil food instead of frying
- Cook beans and rice without lard, bacon or fatty meats
- Use less high-fat cheeses, cream and butter when cooking
- Use cooking oil spray or a little bit of vegetable oil or margarine
- Use low-fat or fat-free mayonnaise and salad dressings on salads
- Do your favorite physical activity for at least 30 minutes four or more days each week. You can also do 10 minutes of activity or walk three times a day.
- Set a goal to reach a healthy weight
- Lose weight slowly. Lose about 1/2 to 1 pound each week until you reach a healthy weight.
If you are overweight, even a weight loss of 5 to 10 percent of your total body weight can improve your health.